Friday, December 19, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Serena by Ron Rash

When I first learned that my book club had decided on Serena by Ron Rash for the next month's book club meeting, I was surprised because it wasn't a book that I had heard of before, and yet somehow they were already making it into a movie with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper! The story, which is about George and Serena Pemberton and their quest to create a logging empire in North Carolina. Their methods are ruthless and their relationship intense. Throw into the mix an illegitimate child, and you've got all things to create a compelling, exciting drama.

I won't go into detail about what actually happens in the story - I don't want to give anything away - but I really enjoyed this book. Strong female characters really appeal to me, and Serena absolutely fit the bill. She is strong, commands attention, and works to earn the respect of their workers. However what makes Serena really special is that she also comes with a hint of mystery and a dash of danger. In other words, stay on her good side or you're in trouble.

The setting - North Carolina in the late 1920s - was also somewhat unique. The US is teetering on the edge of the Great Depression, yet this book focuses on two people who will do anything to become rich in the timber industry. They're fighting against efforts to create the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The historical elements sprinkled throughout the book like this really captured my interest.

In a lot of ways, I could see this book as a Cohen Brothers movie (if it weren't already being made into a movie) because things just keep going from bad to worse for the Pemberton's. The misery just keeps snowballing the farther along you get, until it reaches the point where it almost gets so ridiculous you have to laugh a little. Without giving it away, I loved how the ending dawns on you at about the same moment it likely dawns on the characters - great stuff!

Overall, if you're looking for a book that is dark and intense, romantic and thrilling, this is the book for you. I recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment