Wednesday, March 4, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: The Light Between Oceans (Task #2 Complete!)

The Light Between Oceans is a book by M. L. Stedman that my book club selected to read for our February meeting. Therefore, I decided that it would count as the second item crossed off of my BookRiot Read Harder Challenge list as "A book that someone else has recommended to you."

I thought this book was beautifully written, but also quite heartbreaking. I was incredibly moved by the story line. 

It is about a couple, Isabel and Tom, who cannot conceive a child, when one day a baby washes up on shore in a boat with a dead man. Instead of notifying authorities about the body and the baby, the couple decides to keep and raise the baby as their own. It's only years later that they realize the impact this decision has had outside of their little family. There were moments where I wanted to cry and scream because things just weren't fair, and there were moments where I was just so frustrated I was beside myself!


On one hand, I could absolutely understand Isabel's grief and want to keep the baby as their own; however, I am a guilty sort of conscience like Tom, so I think the weight of the decision would eat away at me in a similar fashion.  And then, of course, after they'd already made the decision to keep Lucy, it muddied the water that much more because then they were in way over their heads at that point.  There were times when I just felt so awful and wished there was a clearer answer, rather than just a whole lot of anguish for everyone.

It's a book that I would recommend to most people. However, I wouldn't necessarily say the plot is fast paced, so for people who are looking for an exciting plot, this book wouldn't be suitable. I would give it 3 of 4 stars, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment