Monday, January 12, 2015

A challenge for 2015!

As you may or may not know, I love to read. I recently learned about BookRiot's 2015 Read Harder Challenge. What is this goal you ask?
"...24 tasks, averaging out to two per month, that will hopefully inspire you to pick up books that represent experiences and places and cultures that might be different from your own. We encourage you to push yourself, to take advantage of this challenge as a way to explore topics or formats or genres that you otherwise wouldn’t try. But this isn’t a test. No one is keeping score and there are no points to post. We like books because they allow us to see the world from a new perspective, and sometimes we all need help to even know which perspectives to try out. That’s what this is – a perspective shift – but one for which you’ll only be accountable to yourself.
I love this idea. I get into a rut (though I don't like the word rut, per se, because of the negative connotation) where I read gobs of books that are similar to the books I just read, and never really branch out too much. With this challenge (especially bingo card that I've just printed off to help me remember all of the different categories), I can mindfully select books for each category and really stretch myself.

Is anyone else participating in this challenge? What's the first task that you plan to tackle? I myself have already completed the YA Novel (book review(s) to come!) and plan to tackle a book that someone else has recommended to me. There is even a Goodreads group dedicated to this challenge - check it out for book recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment